The Stewartry Museum was founded in 1879, and first occupied part of the Kirkcudbright Town Hall. As the collection grew, the present purpose-built museum was planned and opened in 1893. The Museum has an old-world charm and exhibits a wealth of objects relating to the area known as The Stewartry, or Kirkcudbrightshire. The Stewartry Museum holds an impressive local history library and archive collection relating to the Stewartry and an extensive photographic archive. All of these resources can be accessed when visiting the Museum. Prints of the photographic archive can be supplied. For those unable to visit the museum in person a postal research service is also available for a small fee. A temporary exhibitions programme and a selection of children’s trails run throughout the year. Special event days take place during the holidays. For more details see our exhibition programme.
Price or Free Admission
Admission is free
The first floor of the museum is reached by a staircase – please contact us for more information.